The John Deere Hydraulic MulchControl allows users to switch between discharging and mulching for more versatility in the yard. The MulchControl kit also comes with a set of blades designed for bagging, and making clean-up a breeze. Our customers have been asking how to install the Hydraulic Mulch Control on their mowers, so we’ve put together some tips on how to integrate the system into a X700 series mower.
- Park the mower safely on flat ground with the engine off key removed, deck down and parking brake set. Also make sure to close the fuel shutoff valve.
- Take the Hydraulic MulchControl kit out of the box and lay down all the pieces and parts.
- Place the mower deck in a position where you can easily access both sides.
- Start by removing the lock nut washer and spring. Then, remove the handle assembly by removing the nut bolt and detent plate. Retain the detent plate and hardware for future use.
- Next, install the mounting bracket to the mower deck with the lock nut carriage bolt and M8 lock. Tighten the lug nuts to spec as outlined in the operator’s manual.
- Install the pivot arm to the mulch gate shaft. Make sure the pivot arm is fully seated, bottoms out on the shaft.
- Install the bolt, two washers and lock nut. Tighten the lock nuts to spec.
- Install the bushing, washer and lock nut. Tighten the lock nuts to eliminate any looseness from assembly.
- Next, remove and retain the spring locking pin. Install the actuator rod to the spring pivot arm, then insert the spring locking pin back into the actuator rod. Install the spring over both bushings.
- Before installing the deck, move the hydraulic lines towards the centre of the deck and install both ramps on top of the deck.
- After these steps have been completed, it’s time to reinstall the mower deck, refer to the service mower section of your operator’s manual for instructions. Disconnect the spark plug wires on a petrol engine or disconnect the battery on a diesel engine. Install the hose connections to the control valve on the tractor, ensuring that hoses are matched green-to-green and black-to-black.
- Keep the rubber cap plugs clean while the hoses are installed to the control valve. Be sure to make the valve cap plug to the host cap plug.
- Connect the negative battery cable or install spark plug wires.
- Start the engine to open the mulch gate. Push the lower handle forward to close the mulch gate.
- Pull the lower handle backward. Make sure you do not push the lower handle too far forward or it will go into the float position and the mulch gate will not open all the way.
- Make sure the deflector gage is free to rotate open and closed.
This technology is only compatible with certain mower decks. If you have any questions about how to install the Hydraulic MulchControl on the X700 Signature Series Mower, contact our Service team.