John Deere 3038R
Compact Utility Tractor
Designed for comfort and hard work
To help you use the power of your 3R Series tractor to the full, we fit a whole suite of advanced features as standard. These include 4WD, a digital performance tracking system, and LoadMatch – an incredible electric power management system for peak performance in every application. And because the car-style controls, smooth transmission, high back seat and tilt steering are also standard, your productivity will be anything but.
- LoadMatch automatically adjusts transmission speed to engine load for maximum performance without the risk of stalling. Ideal when moving heavy loads or mowing thick grass.
- MotionMatch adjusts transmission response instantly to the task at hand. Perfect when you’re moving back-and-forth during loading.
- SpeedMatch sets a constant creeper speed during aeration / spraying, or in confined spaces.
- 3-Cylinder Diesel Turbocharged
- PowrReverser™ or E-hydro transmission with Twin Touch™ pedals
- AutoConnect Mowing Deck option
- ComfortGard Cab option
Features & Specifications
Safety is designed into all 3R Series Tractors.
- Operator presence system ensures the operator is in the seat to operate the tractor
- Roll-over protective structure (ROPS) is designed for operation safety
- Reflective ROPS strips for better tractor visibility
- Key switch interlock prevents bypass starting
- Visual power take-off (PTO) warning light alerts operator when either mid or rear PTO is running
- Reverse implement option (RIO) for safe mid-PTO operation
- Placing the transmission in neutral and setting the park brake allows operator to run rear PTO safely when off the tractor seat
- EEC tractor road homologation (standard)
- NOTE: Not applicable for Australia/New Zealand.
Regular service and maintenance are essential to the performance, productivity, and longevity of the tractor.
- Easy access to most regular service points minimizes service time.
- Easily removable cowl and side panels, improved hood design, and integrated maintenance position on grill provide easy accessibility for routine maintenance.
- Tractors are equipped with extensive onboard self-diagnostic capabilities and are fully compatible with the John Deere-exclusive Service ADVISOR™ system.
- Daily service requirements are minimal and simple to accomplish. Most service interval requirements can be performed with a basic understanding of procedures and common tools.
- All items in the daily service schedule can be performed without the use of tools:
- Engine oil, hydraulic oil, coolant level, and the water separator can be conveniently accessed
- The engine can be easily accessed by simply raising the hood for more periodic maintenance checks
- A single-point latch mechanism and self-contained leash ensure easy hood opening and closure.
NOTE: Always refer to the operator’s manual for complete maintenance and service recommendations.
The PowrReverser transmission, available on 3033R and 3039R Tractors, offers a hydraulically-shifted forward-to-reverse transmission. This allows for clutchless shuttle shifting between forward and reverse with one lever for quick and easy direction change.
- The PowrReverser transmission does not require the operator to use the clutch to shift between forward and reverse
The 12×12 PowrReverser transmission’s hydraulically-actuated wet clutch takes the place of the dry-type traction clutch. Two multi-disk clutch packs (one forward and one reverse) are hydraulically actuated when the directional (reverser) lever is placed in either the forward or reverse position.
Each clutch pack consists of three large, 13-cm (5-in.) diameter clutch disks that are oil-cooled, allowing excellent heat dissipation and extended clutch life.
- Clutch A is used for the forward operation of the tractor
- Clutch B is used for the reverse operation of the tractor
Key features of the PowrReverser are:
12 forward and 12 reverse speeds
- Reverser lever, located on the left side on the instrument console, allows operator to make direction changes without clutching
- Fast shuttle shift for improved loader operation
- Dual-cone synchronizers allow for synchronized shifts between gears for on-the-go shifting with use of the clutch
- Helical-cut gears for quiet operation
- Well-spaced speeds for turf, loader, and transport work
- Neutral-start switch prevents tractor from starting when transmission (main range) is not in neutral
- Dual wet-disk clutches provide long clutch life
- Shifts between ranges are not synchronized
NOTE: 3R Tractors with PowrReverser ARE NOT compatible with mid PTO. They are not compatible from the factory or field installed.
The 3R Series Tractor is available with an exclusive three-range electronic hydrostatic (eHydro) transmission.
- Fluid under pressure transmits engine power to the drive wheels through a pump and motor
- Provides high torque for start-up
- Reduces powertrain shock loads
Sauer-Danfoss® supplies both the pump and motor. This ensures that the components are matched to each other, providing maximum efficiency.
The electronic hydrostatic transmission is ideally suited for jobs where productivity is a must, such as loader or mower applications.
Twin Touch™ foot controls allow selecting both directions of travel and speed with a touch of the toe.
Key features of the eHydro transmission are:
- Infinite ground speeds, even at full throttle, allow the operator to match the speed of the tractor to the job
- No clutching for fast and easy direction changes
- Twin Touch foot pedals for quick and easy forward/reverse operation
- Cruise control is base equipment
- Cruise-control switch is located on the right-hand console for easy access
- Cruise control is electronically engaged and disengaged and allows for more precise setting of speed
Sauer-Danfoss eHydro transmission is used for reliable operation. Durability features include:
1) Large, forged trunnion shaft with larger support bearings to reduce vibration and noise.
2) Center section made from durable cast aluminum, which is 10 percent stronger.
3) Transmission oil cooler cools transmission oil for longer transmission life.
Safety features of the eHydro transmission include:
- The tractor will start with one or both foot pedals depressed, but it will not move until both pedals first come to neutral
- The tractor will come to a stop if the operator leaves the seat but the engine will not shut off unless the power take-off (PTO) is also running
KEY JOHN DEERE ADVANTAGE
John Deere’s Twin Touch foot controls offer several key advantages over competitive hydrostatic transmission (HST) tractor models.
Key advantages over competitive HST tractor models:
- Some competitive hydrostatic tractors use a treadle pedal (toe-heel) design foot control for operation
- Requires the operator to use both toe and heel to change direction, resulting in increased operator fatigue.
Integrated eHydro features
The eHydro convenience controls have been integrated into a single module. Combining features such as SpeedMatch™ LoadMatch™, MotionMatch™ and automotive style cruise control pulls the maximum efficiency out of the eHydro transmission tractors. All of these features are standard on the 3R models, and deliver an easier and more comfortable user experience.
AUTOMOTIVE-STYLE CRUISE CONTROL
An automotive-style cruise control is standard equipment on the 3R Series Tractors. Cruise control is electronically engaged and disengaged and is located on the right-hand operator console.
- Maintains desired forward speed without pressure on the foot pedal
- When activated, operator is able to set cruise speed
- Use the SET/- button to set cruise speed, or to decrease cruise/maximum speed
- Use the RES/+ button to set cruise speed, or to increase cruise/maximum speed
- A speed sensor also allows the tractor to maintain preset speed driving up and down hills
- To disengage the cruise control, either:
- Apply pressure to the brakes
- Disengage cruise control button
- Briefly depress the reverse travel pedal
LOADMATCH POWER MANAGEMENT SYSTEM
LoadMatch is an industry exclusive and a standard feature on the 3R Series Tractors.
If torque requirements increase significantly, the transmission will reduce the tractor’s drive speed to compensate for the increased load on the transmission, maximizing torque to drive wheels and minimize stalls.
Controls automatically adjust LoadMatch compensation depending on the tractors application. PTO applications require less engine speed fluctuation, therefore adjusts the amount of droop depending on PTO speed. This adjustment increases efficiency and optimizes engine speed and torque output based on tractor application.
While typically left on, LoadMatch can be turned off with the right-hand console controls.
The MotionMatch, standard on the 3R Series Tractors, is located on the right-hand console. It offers seven settings for adjusting the rollout or decelerate when the pedal is released.
Longer accelerate and decelerate distances.
Shorter accelerate and decelerate distances.
SpeedMatch, standard on the 3R Series Tractors, further enhances the eHydro cruise control functions by allowing the operator to preset maximum speed. Once this feature is engaged, the operator must stroke the travel pedal fully to meet the operator preset speed. This function will improve accuracy and safety, particularly at lower travel speed applications.
Rotary tilling or spraying applications are examples of where SpeedMatch can be applied. SpeedMatch will work in both the forward and reverse set speeds.
NOTE: Automotive-style cruise control and SpeedMatch can be used in conjunction with LoadMatch to maximize productivity.
Sauer-Danfoss is a registered trademark of Sauer-Danfoss, Inc.
The bold styling of the tractor provides an attractive and functional appearance similar to that of the larger agricultural tractors. Benefits of this styling include:
- Easy tractor family identification
- Updated fixed grill and side panel hood design allowing for optimum sealing of the cooling compartment
- Integrated maintenance position on front grill for easy battery access
- Wraparound-style halogen headlights
- Premium integrated automotive style headlight bezels
- Bold graphics allowing for easy tractor family identification
- Aggressively sloped hood design giving a softer, smoother look, and providing improved visibility
The result gives the tractor a distinctive appearance and feel.
NOTE: If tractor is equipped with optional field-installed vertical exhaust, exhaust pipe must be removed before opening and closing the hood of the tractor.
|Engine type||3 cylinder Diesel Turbocharged|
|Rated Engine (97/68/EC)||27.3 kW (37.1 hp) at 2600 rpm|
|Lift capacity||1148 kg (at lift points)|
|Hydraulic Flow||52.5 L/min|