John Deere Z345R
- Accel Deep™ deck
- V-twin, air-cooled engine
- Speeds up to 11.3 km/h
- 2 year/120 hour limited warranty
The word is spreading fast.
The way to mow better faster is here. See the John Deere Residential ZTrak zero-turn mowers here, a full line offering “right-size” engines and mower decks to get the job done for properties large and small. Featuring Edge, Accel Deep and High-capacity mower decks so you can mow faster, better.
Features & Specifications
The motion-control levers can be adjusted to two height settings and nine fore-aft settings for a total of 18 different positions:
- Increased operator comfort
- Adjustable for more precise control of the machine
A standard shock absorber for the motion-control levers makes maneuvering ZTrak™ Mowers easy and comfortable:
- Shock absorber modulates the movement of control levers for smoother operation.
- Operator can smoothly and precisely control the machine.
On-board tracking adjustment from the operator seat is quick and easy. The cut-height pin includes a 13-mm wrench and doubles as a convenient tool for adjusting tracking and the motion-control lever position.
The operator control panel is conveniently located and easy to use. The following instruments and controls are included:
- Low fuel warning light
- Ignition switch
- Power take-off (PTO) control
- Engine speed/choke control
- A choke position is built into the engine speed control.
The park brake is conveniently located:
- Large lever is easy to use.
- Lever is color-coded for easy identification.
- Park brake effectively holds the machine in the parked position.
- Park brake must be engaged (in the upper position) to start the engine.
- Once the engine is started, the park brake must be disengaged before operating the motion-control levers.
MOWER DECK LIFT/CUT-HEIGHT ADJUSTMENT
- Mower deck cutting height adjusts from 1 in. (2.5 cm) to 4 in. (10.2 cm) in 0.25-in. (0.64-cm) increments for excellent cut quality and performance.
- Mower deck adjustment has built-in memory so the operator can easily return to the desired cutting height after raising the deck.
ZTrak Mowers are designed around a heavy-duty formed and welded steel frame for strength and reliability.
Large front caster wheels and large rear drive wheels provide several operator benefits:
- Smoother ride
- Better slope performance
- More operator comfort over uneven ground
- Better traction
The operator platform is roomy and uncluttered for maximum comfort, and the controls are convenient to use:
- Easy to get on and off the mower
- Ample legroom for comfortable operation
- Adjustable motion-control levers for height and position, enabling the operator to stay comfortable while using them
- Color-coded and logically placed controls
A 20-hp (14.9-kW) V-twin engine provides plenty of power and torque to handle tough mulching, mowing, and bagging conditions:
- V-twin cylinder design for greater torque, lower vibration, and improved sound quality
- Engine model M40
- Electronic ignition for fast starts
- Cast-iron sleeves for longer engine life
- Overhead valves for excellent power and fuel economy
- Full-pressure lubrication and oil filter for keeping the oil cleaner for a long engine life and extending the time between oil changes; the full-pressure lubrication system is also more effective when operating the tractor on an incline
- Easy access to the no-tools oil drain valve for oil changes
- Rear engine guard for protecting the engine and providing additional strength and integrity
Replaceable fuel filter and oil filter are easy to access and change to minimize service time and cost.
John Deere recommends the use of fuel stabilizer in gasoline. See Fuel-Protect for gasoline engines (8 oz) for more information.
The operator station is designed for operator comfort and convenience when operating all controls:
- Excellent visibility forward and to the trim side of the deck makes operation easy and comfortable for the operator.
- Controls are color coded for easy identification.
- Low-fuel warning light is easily visible in daylight.
- Twin-lever controls adjust, using cut-height pin/socket, for convenience and operator comfort.
- A shock absorber dampens motion control lever movement to give smooth operation.
Comfortable seats make the operator experience more pleasant. Armrests, included on the Z355E seat, can be flipped up out of the way, if desired:
- Z335E – 15-in. (38-cm) high seat back without armrests
- Z355E – 15-in. (38-cm) high seat back with adjustable armrests
- Z335M and Z345M – 18-in. (46-cm) high seat back with adjustable armrests
Two steel coil suspension springs under the seat absorb shocks when traveling over rougher areas to provide a smoother ride.
The seat has a 2.5-in. (6.35-cm) fore-aft adjustment. The cut-height pin/socket can be used to loosen the bolts in order to make seat adjustments.
CUP HOLDER AND STORAGE COMPARTMENTS
The cup holder is designed to hold two common cup sizes securely.
Covered storage under the seat and open storage along the left side of the vehicle provide safe and secure places for the operator to keep safety equipment, a cell phone, etc.
OPERATOR FOOT PLATFORM
Large foot platform helps the operator remain comfortable and secure:
- Volcano grips give a secure grip.
- Raised footrests at the front of the platform provide a comfortable area for the operator’s feet.
The 42-in. (107-cm) Accel Deep Mower Deck is a stamped-steel, deep, flat-top design that delivers excellent cut quality, productivity, cleanliness, durability, and versatility. Optimal performance and dispersion of clippings is provided, even at faster mowing speeds:
- 4.5-in. (11.4-cm) deep throughout the entire deck shell for optimum mowing, mulching, and bagging performance
- Optional MulchControl™ attachment for superior mulching performance and versatility
- Stamped-steel design eliminates sharp edges and corners where material can build up and diminish mowing performance
- Mower deck is suspended from the vehicle for a smooth and level cut
- Adjustable mower wheels, positioned just above ground level, help smooth out the mowing job
EXCELLENT CUT QUALITY
Deep mower-deck stamping gives excellent cut quality. It allows the cut and suspended material room to exit the deck without getting recut:
- Reducing the amount of recutting enables more power to be used to cut incoming grass, which greatly improves mower capacity.
- Helps maintain excellent cut quality at faster mowing speeds
- Clean flow of material out of discharge area prevents cut material from interfering with cutting the incoming grass, making it possible for the blades to cut incoming material cleanly.
- Even in mulching mode, cut evenness is improved compared to other designs because the additional depth allows for continuous circulation, optimal recutting, and an even distribution of clippings.
PRODUCTIVITY – GETS THE JOB DONE FAST
Deep mower-deck stamping gives high productivity, which gets the job done fast. It allows the cut and suspended material room to exit the deck quickly, reducing the amount of re-cutting so more power is available to process incoming grass:
- Greatly improves the mower’s capacity to maintain excellent mowing performance in difficult mowing conditions and at higher speeds
Large discharge opening is both high and wide to handle more material:
- Gives a smooth, even discharge of clippings at all mowing speeds
- Reduces the chance of plugging, especially important when operating in wet, thick, or dense grass and when bagging
- Cut-and-throw chute has a large, optimized inlet which aids in collecting material by using airflow from the large deck opening
CLEANLINESS – FOR THE MOWER AND THE OPERATOR
The flat-top shape of the deck stamping is optimal for keeping itself and the operator clean:
- There are few places to catch and hold material on the top and underneath the deck.
- Top of deck stays cleaner, reducing time and effort needed for cleaning and service
- Underside of deck is self-cleaning to maintain optimum performance without build-up of material to interfere with the flow of air and clippings
- Less need to clean and remove build-up of material from underside deck
- The depth of the Accel Deep Mower Deck minimizes the amount of material that escapes from the front of the deck
- Limited amount of material to drift onto the operator and mower deck
- Even flow of material discharged out the chute, less re-cutting results in larger pieces that are less likely to end up on the operator
- Mulching prevents the discharge of material completely
- Versatility of MulchControl attachment makes mulching a practical solution for most mowing situations
Cleaning a mower deck, both top and bottom, is one of the most frequent maintenance activities:
- The flat-top design reduces places for material to build up and makes material that does collect easy to remove.
SUPERIOR DURABILITY IS DESIGNED IN
The 42A Mower Deck has strong spindle pockets, to keep the blades aligned, even after years of tough service:
- Ribs in the deck shell add strength where it is needed.
- The 42A has a 16 percent heavier overall weight than the Edge™ Xtra 42-in. (107-cm) mower deck that it replaces.
Mower wheels are double-captured:
- Provides greater strength and durability for longer, trouble-free life.
- Single-bolt adjustment makes setting wheels to the correct height for the cutting height quick and easy.
Low-tension belt-drive design reduces the side load on the engines lower bearing and mower deck bearings for longer life.
Rolled outer edge of the deck provides extra strength and protection.
Dual-stage E-coat and powder-paint coatings provide extra protection from rust.
- The MulchControl handle is located on top of the mower deck and used to open and close the discharge baffle.
- The operator is required to get off of the machine in order to engage or disengage mulch mode.
- Changing from mulching to side discharge or vice versa takes only a few seconds.
MulchControl is well-suited to the following mowing situations:
- Usually mulch, but side discharge when grass gets too long
- Usually side-discharge, but would like to be able to close the chute to control clippings
- Always mulch a main lawn, but often side discharge secondary lawns
- Bag clippings, but want to go farther before emptying bags
MulchControl puts the operator in control of the clippings. The operator can have all the benefits of mulching, with the ability to easily change to side discharge or bagging when needed.
A wash port is provided to make cleaning the underside of the mower deck easy.
- Hose connector is included with the mower deck.
VERSATILITY – EASY TO CHANGE BETWEEN SIDE DISCHARGE, MULCH, AND BAGGING MODES
The 42A Mower is designed for maximum versatility, providing the greatest ease in changing from one mower discharge mode to another:
- The mowers cut-and-throw design allows bagging with just the addition of the hopper and chute, once the special bagging blades have been installed.
- The 42A cut-and-throw bagger chute is easy to install, with just one, easy to reach, front-side bungee cord to attach.
- The bagging blades can be used for side discharging also.
- With the optional MulchControl attachment installed (along with the special mulching blades), changing from side-discharge to mulching or vice versa is done with the simple flip of a lever.
The MulchControl attachment for the 42A Mower Deck makes mulching more practical for many mowing situations because it not only does an excellent job of mulching but it also allows the mower to be easily converted for times when it is more desirable to side discharge or collect the lawn material. Advantages of mulching grass clippings include:
- A beautiful looking lawn
- Grass clippings not blown onto the operator, driveways, or flower beds
- Less fertilizer use
- Elimination of the effort needed to dispose of clippings
HOW MULCHCONTROL WORKS
MulchControl is an innovative, simple design that is easy to use and maintain:
- The MulchControl attachment includes baffles to control the flow of material under the deck.
- The left mower blade area is completely enclosed and optimized for mulching, thus will mulch even when the mower is in the side-discharge mode.
- Baffles around the right blade are optimized for mulching when the discharge baffle is closed.
While in the side-discharge mode, MulchControl will still mulch about one third of the material. Therefore, the side-discharge mode is essentially a partial-mulch mode. This can be an advantage when side discharging or bagging, as it helps to reduce the amount of material being discharged. Other times this could work as a disadvantage:
- When cutting strong grasses, such as Zoysia and Bermuda
- When cutting in wet, high-growth conditions
- When optimum bagging and lawn clean-up is desired
A convenient service interval decal provides basic maintenance information. It provides a quick-reference for keeping recommended service up to date.
MOWER DECK ACCESS
The footrest area is hinged and easily raised for service to mower deck:
- It is necessary to remove just one bolt that can be conveniently removed with the lift-height pin.
- Easy to clean grass off the top of the mower
- Provides convenient access to the mower drive
The engines are easy to service, including changing the oil and the oil filter and servicing the air filter.
Accel Deep™ Mower Decks have several features that make them easy to service:
- Flat-top design minimizes places for debris to collect.
- Spring-loaded, flip-up belt guards make removing debris easy.
- Provision is provided for a standard, 3/8-in. (9.5-mm) ratchet wrench to be used for releasing belt tension when removing the drive belt.
Tie-down locations are provided for convenience and safety when trailering the machine.
|Mower Cutting Width||107 cm (42 in.)|
|Engine Power||16.4 kW (22 hp*)|
|Transmission Type||Hydro-Gear® EZT|
Our Newest Deck: Accel Deep™ Mower Deck
Excellent cut quality
Flat-top design enables clean flow of material throughout the deck and out of the discharge area. This prevents cut material from interfering with the cutting of incoming grass, allowing the blades to cut the material cleanly.
Deep, flat-top deck with a large discharge opening allows cut clippings to exit the mower deck with limited re-cutting, so more power is available for cutting and processing incoming grass.
Minimal recutting improves the mower’s capacity to maintain excellent mowing performance in difficult conditions and at higher speeds.
Smooth, flat-top deck stamping has few places for material to catch and collect on top of or underneath the deck, so the mower deck stays cleaner and is easier to clean when serviced.
Limited amount of recutting means less small pieces of grass clippings collect on the mower deck or the operator.
With the optional MulchControl attachment installed (along with the special mulching blades that are included), changing from side-discharge to mulching, or vice versa, is done with the simple flip of a lever.
Designed to ensure durability and many hours of trouble-free operation.
- 42A is stamped from 12-gauge, 2.7 mm (0.105 in.) steel and has a 16 percent heavier overall weight than the Edge Xtra™ 107 cm (42 in.) deck.
- 48A is stamped from 10-gauge, 3.4 mm (0.135 in.) steel and has a 23 percent heavier overall weight than the Edge Xtra 122 cm (48 in.) deck.
- 54A is stamped from 10-gauge, 3.4 mm (0.135 in.) steel and has a 3 percent heavier overall weight than the Edge Xtra 137 cm (54 in.) deck.
- Double-captured mower wheels for greater strength
- Low-tension belt-drive design for reduced bearing side-load
- Outer edge of the deck protection for strength and long life
- Easy-to-access spindle grease fittings with flip-up shields where applicable
- Dual-stage electrostatic-primer and powder-paint coatings to provide extra protection from rust