- Areas where people are present:
- Conditions and application areas with long grass and weeds where wide dispersal of grass (park areas, roadsides, etc.) is not a concerned
Some government bids specify that the mower is equipped with a rear discharge.
- Fabricated from 7-gauge steel (0.177 in.) for added deck strength and long life
- 3/4-in. solid steel bar is welded to the mower deck perimeter for additional strength
- Deep-deck design increases airflow so more material can be processed
- Operator can trim with either side
- Unique baffling system that is designed to reduce clumping and windrowing usually associated with rear-discharge mowers
- 1-in. to 5-in. cutting heights, in 1/2-in. increments, allow the operator to match all mowing conditions
- Gauge wheels, rollers, or side-mounted skid shoes lift the deck over uneven surfaces for a well-groomed appearance
- Spindles can be greased without removing belt shields
- 1-in. (25-mm) cold-forged spindles
- Heat-treated to provide additional strength
- Spindle housings are ribbed cast aluminum; this unique design features reinforcing gussets in the housing
- Adds strength
- Additional cooling surface
- Distributes loads over a larger area
- Precision ball bearings
On every commercial mower deck there are three 25-mm (1-in.) spindles, which are cold-forged and heat-treated for strength, eliminating bulk. The spindle is supported by precision ball bearings, providing great performance and reliability.
The spindle housing is made of ribbed cast aluminum. This unique casting design embosses reinforcing gussets in the housing, which increases both strength and cooling surface area, standing up to commercial applications.
These spindles can be greased from the top for long life and require no disassembly to reach.
- 45.4 L (12 U.S. gal.) capacity allows the operator to mow for a full day without refueling.
- Large filler neck makes for easier refueling.
- Standard fuel gauge is provided.
- Top fuel draw provides added safety by reducing the chance fuel will leak out.
- Cup holder is standard on the tank.
NOTE: The fill level is 25 mm (1 in.) below the bottom of the filler neck.
An exclusive two-year/unlimited hour, three-year/1500-hr (whichever comes first) bumper-to-bumper warranty is standard for all John Deere Z900 Mowers. The warranty is best in class and places John Deere at the forefront of commercial mowing. It is also hassle free, with one company handling all of the paperwork.
36 months or 1500 hr, whichever comes first. First 24 months, no hour limitation.
The oil cooler is made from steel to eliminate fin damage from pressure washing and cleaning. It easily flips out for cleaning and accessibility to the radiator.
The 997 is powered by a three-cylinder, liquid-cooled diesel engine.
|Gross engine hp||
The 997 engine also features reduced noise levels and improved fuel economy. It meets U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) interim Tier 4 emission standards.
The three-cylinder diesel engine features a high torque reserve that provides plenty of power.
Key features of the engine include:
- Economical, cast-in block cylinder design for good cooling and long life
- Liquid cooled for more consistent operating temperatures
- Direct fuel injection
- Injects fuel directly on top of pistons for more efficient combustion
- Develops more horsepower per gallon of fuel
- Improves starting
- Aluminum alloy pistons with built-in steel struts are lightweight to reduce connection rod bearing loads and provide good heat-transfer characteristics
- Design permits tighter tolerances and neutralizes expansion of the piston, thereby reducing blow-by fuel and noise from the piston slap
- Higher top rings on the piston and a thinner head gasket greatly reduce the volume of unburned waste and increase combustion efficiency
- Timing gears and injector drive gears utilize helical profile gears to help lower engine noise
- Gear teeth have a newly designed ”roll-off” profile, giving almost no clash, no noise, and no backlash
- Fuel filter with replaceable element
- Full-pressure intake manifold provides quick starts in temperatures down to 0°F
- Auto-bleed fuel system
- There’s no need to prime the system if the unit runs out of fuel; the system will self-prime the injection pump, lines and injectors, providing fast fuel recovery
- Key start and shutoff eliminates fuel shut-off knob; electric solenoid shuts fuel supply off immediately when key is turned off
- See-through coolant recovery tank permits operator to check coolant level without removing radiator cap
- Sealed radiator compartment keeps trash and debris on outside of hood
- Dual element, dry-type air cleaner with safety element and air service indicator
- Dual element design for added engine protection
- Easy to service
- Completely sealed for effective cleaning. 90 percent to 95 percent of dirt is ejected before it reaches the paper element
- Secondary safety element provides additional filtering
- Air restriction indicator to let operator know when the filter needs servicing
- Full-pressure lubrication with full-flow filter
- Engine wear is reduced by ensuring proper lubrication, even when operating on hillsides or uneven terrain
- Oil filter helps keep oil clean for increased engine life
- Automotive-type alternator (40 amp) provides plenty of charge to the battery
- Rear-mounted, covered radiator and fan keeps noise away from operator and is easy to service
- Isolated engine mounting reduces engine vibration at operator’s station for more comfortable operation
The foldable two-post rollover protective structure (ROPS) and seat belt are standard equipment to protect the operator in the event of machine tip-over. The ROPS structure meets U.S. Occupation Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) standard 1928.51. Retractable seat belts are within easy reach of the operator, for use when operating equipment with the ROPS up.
ROPS are foldable to allow trimming, such as under trees or bushes:
- To fold, remove two pins and rotate the top of the ROPS.
- Adjustment can be made from the operator’s seat.
- ROPS must be in the upright and locked position when low clearance is not required; the use of seat belts is recommended when operating the equipment with ROPS in the upright position.
The folding ROPS performance is certified at the date of manufacture according to the following:
- USA OSHA: 1928.51 for North America and certification for the worldwide sales under OSHA.
ROPS STABILZER DEVICE
Stabilizers reduce the amount of movement and noise in the ROPS.
The pump features a shaft-driven fan for added cooling and longer component life. The swash-plate bearings are roller-type versus ball-type bearings for a longer overall pump life.
The transmission module integrates the dual pumps and steering valves in one single housing. The pump is shaft-driven from the engine. An isolator ensures reduced vibration between the engine and the transmission module.
Two wheel motors are installed on the chassis to directly transfer power to both wheels. Commercial-grade, heavy-duty wheel motors from Parker Ross, part of the Hydraulic Pump & Motor Division of Parker Hannifin®, are also important components of the overall drive system efficiency.
Rigid hydraulic lines are installed between the hydraulic module and wheel motors for long life.
Kanzaki is a trademark of Kanzaki Kokyukoki Manufacturing Company. Parker Hannifin is a trademark of Parker Intangibles, LLC.
Operating levers and switches are located on the right side of the unit for easy access:
- No stretching or bending is required for operation.
- Control switches are located at the operator’s fingertips.
The right-hand control area contains the following:
Coolant temperature and hydraulic oil temperature indicator
Ignition key switch
Power take-off (PTO) switch
Battery charge indicator
Oil pressure indicator
Height-of-cut adjustment knob
The comfort and convenience package includes large ergonomically angled control levers with specially padded grips and built-in electronic controls to raise or lower the mower deck and disengage the mower blades.
The push button (A) on the left motion control lever raises the mower deck.The push button (B) on the right-hand control lever shuts off the power take-off (PTO).
Once the PTO has been shut off using the button, the PTO switch must be pushed down and pulled up again to engage the PTO.
- Open engine compartment allows full access to engine components and service points.
- Engine heat is kept away from the operator.
- Flip-up seat allows easy access to the hydraulic system.
- Flip-out panel allows easy access to deck spindles.
HOOD LATCH AND HOOD PIVOTS
- One central latch, over-center type
- The hood pivots make the hood easier to remove and install for ease of servicing the unit.
The deluxe comfort seat is included in base equipment
- Seat cushion is wider and deeper for better support and increased comfort.
Additional features are as follows:
- High back
- Deep cushioned with standard adjustable armrests
- Fore-aft adjustments to accommodate all operators
- Seat belt with retractor
Mower decks are evaluated by the manufacturer (John Deere Turf Care) and conform to ANSI B71.4 safety certification specifications for commercial turf care equipment.
- Live independent power take-off (PTO) powers the mower deck.
- PTO can be engaged or disengaged on the go for greater productivity.
- Hydraulic PTO clutch has delay relief valve for soft engagement.
- Wet clutch is designed for long life.
- PTO is easily accessible.
- 339-Nm (250-lb-ft), heavy-duty hydraulic clutch provides long life.
- Splined PTO shaft transfers power to the cast-iron gearbox.
- Engine is easy to access.
|Mower Cutting Width||Up to 183 cm (72 in.)|
|Engine Power||27 kW ( 37.4 hp)|
|Fuel Tank Capacity||43.5 L|