John Deere Z540M
With 48, 54 or 62″ deck
- Accel Deep™ deck Cutting System decks
- V-twin, air-cooled cyclonic engine
- Speeds up to 13.7 km/h
- 4 year/300 hour limited warranty
The word is spreading fast.
The way to mow better faster is here. See the John Deere Residential ZTrak zero-turn mowers here, a full line offering “right-size” engines and mower decks to get the job done for properties large and small. Featuring Edge, Accel Deep and High-capacity mower decks so you can mow faster, better.
Features & Specifications
ZTrak Mowers are designed around a heavy-duty formed and welded steel frame for strength and reliability.
Large front caster wheels and large rear drive wheels provide several operator benefits:
Better slope performance
More operator comfort over uneven ground
The operator platform is roomy and uncluttered for maximum comfort, and the controls are convenient to use:
- Easy to get on and off the mower
- Ample legroom for comfortable operation
- Adjustable motion-control levers for height and position, enabling the operator to stay comfortable while using them
- Color-coded and logically placed controls
A 25-hp (18.6-kW) V-twin engine provides plenty of power and torque to handle tough mulching, mowing, and bagging conditions:
- V-twin cylinder design gives greater torque, lower vibration, and improved sound quality.
- Engine model M44 Cyclonic™
- Electronic ignition contributes to fast starts.
- Cast-iron cylinder sleeves provide a long-wearing surface for longer engine life.
- Overhead valves allow the engine to breathe easily for excellent power and fuel economy.
- Rear engine guard protects the engine and provides additional vehicle strength and integrity.
Cyclonic air-management system removes larger particles of dirt before they reach the air filter for reduced filter maintenance and longer engine life:
- Cyclonic design ejects large dirt particles before they make contact with the filter.
- Large, high-quality dry-type paper element air filter thoroughly cleans engine intake air.
- The air filter is easily removed for cleaning or replacement.
Full-pressure lubrication system provides plenty of oil to the engines moving parts to ensure reliable operation and long life:
- Replaceable oil filter keeps the oil cleaner for a longer engine life.
- Extends the time between oil changes
- Full-pressure lubrication is more effective when operating on an incline.
No-tools oil-drain cap with hose and oil filter drip tray are provided for easy, no-mess maintenance.
John Deere recommends the use of fuel stabilizer in gasoline. See Fuel-Protect for gasoline engines (8 oz) for more information.
The operator station is designed for operator comfort and convenience when operating all controls:
Excellent visibility forward and to the trim side of the deck makes operation easy and comfortable for the operator.
Controls are color coded for easy identification.
Low-fuel warning light is easily visible in daylight.
Twin-lever controls adjust, using cut-height pin/socket, for convenience and operator comfort.
A shock absorber dampens motion control lever movement to give smooth operation.
Comfortable seats make the operator experience more pleasant. Armrests, included on the Z355E seat, can be flipped up out of the way, if desired:
Z335E – 15-in. (38-cm) high seat back without armrests
Z355E – 15-in. (38-cm) high seat back with adjustable armrests
- Z335M and Z345M – 18-in. (46-cm) high seat back with adjustable armrests
Two steel coil suspension springs under the seat absorb shocks when traveling over rougher areas to provide a smoother ride.
The seat has a 2.5-in. (6.35-cm) fore-aft adjustment. The cut-height pin/socket can be used to loosen the bolts in order to make seat adjustments.
CUP HOLDER AND STORAGE COMPARTMENTS
The cup holder is designed to hold two common cup sizes securely.
Covered storage under the seat and open storage along the left side of the vehicle provide safe and secure places for the operator to keep safety equipment, a cell phone, etc.
OPERATOR FOOT PLATFORM
Large foot platform helps the operator remain comfortable and secure:
- Volcano grips give a secure grip.
- Raised footrests at the front of the platform provide a comfortable area for the operator’s feet.
The 54-in. (138-cm) Accel Deep Mower Deck is a stamped-steel, deep, flat-top design that delivers excellent cut quality, productivity, cleanliness, durability, and versatility. Optimal performance and dispersion of clippings is provided, even at faster mowing speeds:
- 4.5-in. (11.4-cm) deep throughout the entire deck shell for optimum mowing, mulching, and bagging performance
- Optional MulchControl™ attachment provides superior mulching performance and versatility.
- Stamped-steel design eliminates sharp edges and corners where material can build up and diminish mowing performance
- Mower deck is suspended from the vehicle for a smooth and level cut
- Adjustable mower wheels, positioned just above ground level, help smooth out the mowing job
EXCELLENT CUT QUALITY
Deep mower-deck stamping gives excellent cut quality. It allows the cut and suspended material room to exit the deck without getting recut:
- Reducing the amount of recutting enables more power to be used to cut incoming grass, which greatly improves mower capacity.
- Helps maintain excellent cut quality at faster mowing speeds
- Clean flow of material out of discharge area prevents cut material from interfering with cutting the incoming grass, making it possible for the blades to cut incoming material cleanly.
- Even in mulching mode, cut evenness is improved compared to other designs because the additional depth allows for continuous circulation, optimal recutting, and an even distribution of clippings.
PRODUCTIVITY – GETTING THE JOB DONE FAST
Deep mower-deck stamping gives high productivity, which gets the job done fast. It allows the cut and suspended material room to exit the deck quickly, reducing the amount of re-cutting so more power is available to process incoming grass:
- Greatly improves mowers capacity to maintain excellent mowing performance in difficult mowing conditions and at higher speeds
Large discharge opening is both high and wide to handle more material:
- Gives a smooth, even discharge of clippings at all mowing speeds
- Reduces the chance of plugging, especially important when operating in wet, thick, or dense grass and when bagging
- The 54A Power Flow™ blower has an inlet housing with over 50 percent greater area than the 48X Power Flow blower used on previous machines.
CLEANLINESS – FOR THE MOWER AND THE OPERATOR
The flat-top shape of the deck stamping is optimal for keeping itself and the operator clean:
- There are few places to catch and hold material on top and underneath the deck.
- Top of deck stays cleaner, reducing time and effort needed for cleaning and service
- Underside of deck is self-cleaning to maintain optimum performance without buildup of material to interfere with the flow of air and clippings
- Less need to clean and remove build-up of material from underside deck
- The depth of the Accel Deep Mower Deck minimizes the amount of material that escapes from the front of the deck
- Limited amount of material to drift onto the operator and mower deck
- Even for material discharged out the chute, less re-cutting results in larger pieces that are less likely to end up on the operator
- Mulching prevents the discharge of material completely and the MulchControl attachment makes mulching a practical solution for most mowing situations.
Cleaning a mower deck, both top and bottom, is one of the most frequent maintenance activities:
- The flat-top design reduces places for material to build up and makes material that does collect easy to remove.
A wash port is provided to make cleaning the underside of the mower deck easy.
- Hose connector is included with the mower deck.
HOW MULCHCONTROL WORKS
MulchControl is an innovative, simple design that is easy to use and maintain:
- The MulchControl attachment includes baffles to control the flow of material under the deck.
- The MulchControl baffle, or divider, between the left and middle spindles is about half way down. The height is designed to balance the mulching and side-discharge modes.
- When the MulchControl baffle is open, the divider between the left and middle spindles passes a portion of the material to the discharge opening, along with the material from the middle and right spindle areas.
- When the MulchControl baffle is closed, the material stays within the deck and gets chopped into mulch and deposited in the turf.
SUPERIOR DURABILITY IS DESIGNED IN
The 54A Mower Deck has strong spindle pockets, to keep the blades aligned, even after years of tough service:
- Ribs in the deck shell add strength where it is needed.
Mower wheels are double captured:
- Provides greater strength and durability for longer, trouble-free life.
- Single-bolt adjustment makes setting wheels to the correct height for the cutting height quick and easy.
Low-tension belt-drive design reduces the side load on engine lower bearings and mower deck bearings for longer life.
The 54A Mower Deck features a 5/8-in. (16-mm) diameter solid-steel rod side bumper that provides extra strength and protection.
Dual-stage E-coat and powder-paint coatings provide extra protection from rust.
VERSATILITY – EASY TO CHANGE BETWEEN SIDE DISCHARGE, MULCH, AND BAGGING MODES
The 54A Mower is designed for maximum versatility, providing the greatest ease in changing from one mower discharge mode to another:
- With the optional MulchControl attachment installed (along with the special mulching blades), changing from side discharge to mulching or vice versa is done with the simple flip of a lever.
- The Power Flow rear bagger can be used with the MulchControl attachment and blades installed – by simply placing the MulchControl lever in the side discharge position.
The MulchControl attachment for the 54A Mower Deck makes mulching more practical for many mowing situations because it not only does an excellent job of mulching but it also allows the mower to be easily converted for times when it is more desirable to side discharge or collect the lawn material. Advantages of mulching grass clippings include:
- A beautiful looking lawn
- Grass clippings not blown onto the operator, driveways, or flower beds
- Less fertilizer use
- Elimination of the effort needed to dispose of clippings
6.5 BU (230 L) POWER FLOW REAR BAGGER (REAR BAGGER NOT AVAILABLE FOR ZTRAK Z375R)
An optional 6.5-bu (230-L) rear bagger material collection system (MCS) is available. It provides an efficient means of collecting grass clippings and leaves:
- The Power Flow blower and chute are easy to install. The Power Flow blower swings out for easy cleanout and cleanup.
- The hopper design provides modern styling, great bagging performance, cleaner operation, and easy-to-empty bags:
- 6.5-bu (230-L) capacity
- Easy-to-attach Power Flow blower (ordered separately)
- Easy-to-attach chute (ordered separately)
- Air exhaust duct
- Convenient spring-latch
- Airflow fill indicator
- Quik-Tatch mounting
- Sealed hopper top
- Loose-knit bags available
- The MulchControl handle is located on top of the mower deck and used to open and close the discharge baffle.
- The operator is required to get off of the machine in order to engage or disengage mulch mode.
- Changing from mulching to side discharge or vice versa takes only a few seconds.
MulchControl is well-suited to the following mowing situations:
- Usually mulch, but side discharge when grass gets too long
- Usually side-discharge, but would like to be able to close the chute to control clippings
- Always mulch a main lawn, but often side discharge secondary lawns
- Bag clippings, but want to go farther before emptying bags
MulchControl puts the operator in control of the clippings. Now the operator can have all the benefits of mulching with the ability to easily change to side discharge or bagging when needed.
While in the side-discharge mode, MulchControl will still mulch about one third of the material. Therefore, the side-discharge mode is essentially a partial-mulch mode. This can be an advantage when side discharging or bagging, as it helps to reduce the amount of material being discharged. Other times this could work as a disadvantage:
- When cutting strong southern grasses, such as Zoysia and Bermuda
- When cutting in wet, high-growth conditions, such as those found in the Pacific Northwest United States
- When optimum bagging and lawn clean-up is desired
A convenient service interval decal provides basic maintenance information. It provides a quick-reference for keeping recommended service up to date.
MOWER DECK ACCESS
The footrest area is hinged and easily raised for service to mower deck:
- It is necessary to remove just one bolt that can be conveniently removed with the lift-height pin.
Easy to clean grass off the top of the mower
Provides convenient access to the mower drive
The engines are easy to service, including changing the oil and the oil filter and servicing the air filter.
Accel Deep™ Mower Decks have several features that make them easy to service:
- Flat-top design minimizes places for debris to collect.
- Spring-loaded, flip-up belt guards make removing debris easy.
- Provision is provided for a standard, 3/8-in. (9.5-mm) ratchet wrench to be used for releasing belt tension when removing the drive belt.
Tie-down locations are provided for convenience and safety when trailering the machine.
|Mower Cutting Width||122, 137 or 157 cm (48, 54 or 62 in.)|
|Engine Power||17.9 kW (24 hp*)|
|Transmission Type||Tuff Torq® TZT7-D|
|Functionality||Side-discharge, mulch or collect|
The 62-in. (157-cm) mower is a deep-deck design:
Mower can side-discharge or mulch.
- Durable plastic deflector spreads grass clippings evenly across the lawn, is hinged, and can be raised to minimize the storage space required.
Features of the 62-in. (157-cm) mower deck include:
- Deep-deck design does a superior job of lifting grass for a clean, even cut.
- Smooth underside of the mower prevents grass buildup and evenly disperses grass clippings.
- Mower deck is stamped from heavy, 10-gauge, 0.135-in. (3.4-mm) steel for superior durability and long life.
- Rolled outer edge of the deck provides extra strength and protection.
- Dual-stage E-coat and powder-paint coatings provide extra protection from rust.
A wash port is provided to make cleaning the underside of the mower deck easy:
Hose connector is included with the mower deck.
An optional mulching attachment is available:
- This is a high-performance mulching attachment that includes a mulch plug and special mulching blades.
- The special mulching blades included can also be used for side discharging, though the overall cut quality may decline slightly.
A convenient fuel-sight window is located where it is easy for the operator to see:
- Semi-clear material makes seeing how much fuel is in the tank quick and easy.
- Large, 3-in. (7.6-cm) fuel-fill opening reduces the chance of spilling when adding fuel.
- Fuel-fill opening is low and angled to make adding fuel easy.
- Cap is tethered to the fuel tank.
- Less chance of fuel cap getting lost
Our Newest Deck: Accel Deep™ Mower Deck
Excellent cut quality
Flat-top design enables clean flow of material throughout the deck and out of the discharge area. This prevents cut material from interfering with the cutting of incoming grass, allowing the blades to cut the material cleanly.
Deep, flat-top deck with a large discharge opening allows cut clippings to exit the mower deck with limited re-cutting, so more power is available for cutting and processing incoming grass.
Minimal recutting improves the mower’s capacity to maintain excellent mowing performance in difficult conditions and at higher speeds.
Smooth, flat-top deck stamping has few places for material to catch and collect on top of or underneath the deck, so the mower deck stays cleaner and is easier to clean when serviced.
Limited amount of recutting means less small pieces of grass clippings collect on the mower deck or the operator.
With the optional MulchControl attachment installed (along with the special mulching blades that are included), changing from side-discharge to mulching, or vice versa, is done with the simple flip of a lever.
Designed to ensure durability and many hours of trouble-free operation.
- 42A is stamped from 12-gauge, 2.7 mm (0.105 in.) steel and has a 16 percent heavier overall weight than the Edge Xtra™ 107 cm (42 in.) deck.
- 48A is stamped from 10-gauge, 3.4 mm (0.135 in.) steel and has a 23 percent heavier overall weight than the Edge Xtra 122 cm (48 in.) deck.
- 54A is stamped from 10-gauge, 3.4 mm (0.135 in.) steel and has a 3 percent heavier overall weight than the Edge Xtra 137 cm (54 in.) deck.
- Double-captured mower wheels for greater strength
- Low-tension belt-drive design for reduced bearing side-load
- Outer edge of the deck protection for strength and long life
- Easy-to-access spindle grease fittings with flip-up shields where applicable
- Dual-stage electrostatic-primer and powder-paint coatings to provide extra protection from rust